India is a land of colours, cultures, calmness and chaos all in a vibrant and delicate balance that you’ll find nowhere else. It is diverse and beautiful. It is huge and welcoming. But while it’s all these great things, it is also a little difficult.
Being away from family and home gets tough and connectivity becomes as important as food and water even if it is just for a few days.India is huge and while one is roaming around, it is necessary to stay well connected throughout the country.
Now, like every experienced traveller you first thought will be to buy a local and cheapest SIM card in India and that for a heads up can be a daunting task even when the SIM card price in India is mostly affordable.. And even getting one does not ensure that your phone will work with an Indian SIM card. This could either be because, the GSM band of your phone is not compatible or your phone is locked to your carrier.
Due to security reasons, getting a tourists SIM card or an international sim card in India requires foreign tourists to furnish a lot of documents and there are many many steps involved in the process. Here’s what you have to do!
- For a postpaid /prepaid/ roaming SIM card you will need a local reference name and phone number(For instance you can’t apply for a SIM card in Delhi with a reference in Mumbai- it has to be a local number)
- It is not necessary that you will have a local reference.
- Your local reference will get a call from the network provider within 24 hours of submitting the documents.
- It is possible that only one phone call is made to the local reference and in case they miss that call, you may have to wait for a day or so get the call again.
- It is also possible that you may have to repeat the entire documentation process with a different number as your application may be rejected and then you’ll have to wait for another two days.
- Once the network has called your local reference and your phone becomes active, it should display a signal.
- You then need to call the activation number (59059) from your phone and confirm the name and address details as provided at the time of applying for your SIM card at the new SIM card price.
- Within 15 hours of your details being successfully verified, your SIM card should be active.
- Now you will have to go back to the shop and top up or recharge your phone with the data and voice plans that you desire.
- Make sure that you are in the same area in which you bought the SIM card for the activation to go through. For instance, if you bought the SIM card in Delhi, you cannot complete the activation if you have travelled outside of Delhi. It has to be done within the same area it was issued.
- Traveling around India, outside your circle of Indian SIM card issue, you will generally be considered to pay for ‘cell roaming’.
- You should still be able to use your phone, but making and receiving calls will be more expensive because of roaming fees which includes mobile roaming charges as well as data roaming charges.
- Ask the sales executive at your sim card provider in India to help you pick out the plan that suits you the best.
- In most of the cases he will the one in which he has the maximum profit.
Therefore; your sane self must have gathered by now that getting a SIM Card to use in India is not as easy getting one in other countries like USA, Singapore, UK, Germany or France and in fact it is one hell of a job.
And that’s why, an alternative to this makes a lot of sense and saves a lot of breath!
Here’s what this life saving substitute looks like.
Trabug offers a smartphone and a wifi device powered by a 4G connection. It is available on rental basis.Trabug is designed by and for travellers. It is for anyone visiting India. Whether you are travelling for business, leisure or to meet family and friends, Trabug provides a hassle free experience of staying connected in a foreign country.
Trabug is a 4G SIM card mobile phone in India (android smartphone) and saves the hassle of purchasing an Indian SIM card for foreigners. It comes for a lot less than the actual 4G sim card price in the Indian shops. This is awesome because
The plans offered on the phone can be viewed on the site. There’s a good variety to choose from but not too much to confuse you either. International roaming costs for other service providers are generally high whereas the international roaming costs almost and even less than $2 a day for people who stay for longer durations. Therefore, Trabug definitely saves you both time and money and gives a lot more than just a sim card to use in India.
Your personal phone may not work while in India because the GSM band might not be not compatible or you might be locked to your home network. So,to have a working phone in India, one may need to buy a new phone which would cost a few hundred dollars. Trabug saves you that big amount as it is a rental service and you pay a nominal amount only.
The phone is pretty attractive with its 5-inch high-resolution screen and comes in a lovely packaging. The battery is pretty long lasting which too, is honestly a life saver.
The mobile phone rental is charged on per day basis. The phone is delivered at your hotel/hostel and is picked up from whatever place you leave it at. For e.g. It can be ordered in Delhi and left for return at Mumbai.
The phone comes with reliable information about places to visit, eat, stay at, it is like a guide to new places. To book a cab with a preinstalled Uber/Ola app.The internet plans too are amazing as while booking a cab or going through the social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, WhatsApp, Skype, IRCTC App, Google Maps, all come preinstalled), there’s hardly any lag and one can create a hotspot from the Trabug phone and connect as many as 5 devices. So, no internet hassles for the iPad or the laptop or a personal phone. The phone is very helpful with the audio tour and currency exchange services too.
One can even use personal services on the phone without getting concerned as you get to checkout and wipe off all the personal data once you are ready to return it. So check your private mails, click silly duckface selfies, scroll through Facebook all without any worry!
Another important service is that one can access the emergency information about police, hospitals, embassies, based on location anytime anywhere.
This is a small convenient pocket sized device that you can rent on per day basis. The device gives you access to high speed internet (4G) and lets you connect upto 10 devices. It is handy and lasts upto 6 hours after 1 full charge. It can be charged again using a regular USB android cord. It comes with a companion app.
For pricing, plans and more information; visit https://www.trabug.com/pricing/
- 4G internet speed.
- Personal wifi password so no one else can use it
- Hotspot Connectivity upto 5 devices on the phone and 10 on the pocket wifi.
- Calling (International and Domestic).
- Specially Curated Content
- Emergency Services
Visit the following to book/check prices/read more reviews:
The Trabug site: https://www.trabug.com/
Here’s a video to tell you more: