An Indian citizen who is ordinarily residing outside India and holds an Indian passport.
What benefits one is entitled to?
All benefits as available to Indian citizen subject to notifications issued by the government from time to time.
An NRI does not require a VISA for visiting India.
A person who or whose any of ancestors was an Indian national and who is presently holding another country’s citizenship/ nationality i.e. he/she is holding foreign passport
A POI cardholder requires VISA for visiting India.
A person registered as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Cardholder under section 7A of the Citizenship Act, 1955.
Who is eligible?
Following categories of foreign nationals are eligible for registering Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Cardholder:-
- who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after 26 January 1950
- who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26 January 1950
- who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15 August 1947
- who is a child or a grandchild or a great-grandchild of such a citizen
- who is a minor child of such persons mentioned above
- who is a minor child and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India
- spouse of foreign origin of who a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application.
No person, or either of whose parents or grandparents or great-grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan o Bangladesh shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.
Eligible persons to apply online. For this purpose, please log on to
Till such time the online payment facility is introduced, the following instructions shall be followed:-
- The printout of the online application form, along with enclosures, demand draft and photograph in duplicate should be submitted to the Indian Mission/Post having jurisdiction over the country of which the applicant is a citizen or if he/she is not living in the country of his/her citizenship, to the Indian Mission/Post having jurisdiction over the country of which the applicant is ordinarily a resident.
- If the applicant is residing in India, the printout of the online application form, completed in all respects, along with enclosures, demand draft and photographs in duplicate should be submitted to the FRROs.
Trabug is a unique solution. It provides you a high-end smartphone and 4G SIM card with unlimited data. All the information about localised services is preloaded and it is delivered at your doorstep anywhere in India. For a better travelling experience get Trabug.
“Thank you for the excellent service and support during the last two weeks. I really really appreciate it. You guys made my stay so fantastic.”Aditi Mukherjee
You might also want to read these: