Asked yourself this question? Well, good because these technical differences do make a huge difference when one is travelling. Let’s take a look at all of them one by one.
A person registered as and OCI meaning an Overseas Citizen of India Card holder under section 7A of the Citizenship Act, 1955. He/she receives all the OCI card benefits.
An OCI card holder does not require any VISA including the U VISA sticker as of 2015 to travel to India.
Following categories of foreign nationals are eligible to apply for Overseas Citizen of India or OCI registration as a Cardholder:-
- who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after 26 January 1950
- who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26 January 1950
- who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15 August 1947
- who is a child or a grandchild or a great-grandchild of such a citizen
- who is a minor child of such persons mentioned above
- who is a minor child and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India
- spouse of foreign origin of who a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application.
No person, or either of whose parents or grandparents or great-grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.
The Indian oci card process is for eligible persons to apply online. For this purpose, please log on to: passport.gov.in
Till the time the oci card process’ and the online oci services such as oci card fees payment facility are introduced, the following instructions shall be followed;
- The printout of the online OCI application form, along with enclosures of OCI documents such as, demand draft and photograph in duplicate should be submitted to the Indian Mission/Post having jurisdiction over the country of which the applicant is a citizen or if he/she is not living in the country of his/her citizenship, to the Indian Mission/Post having jurisdiction over the country of which the applicant is ordinarily a resident.
- If the applicant is residing in India, the printout of the online application form, completed in all respects, along with enclosures, demand draft and photographs in duplicate should be submitted to the FRROs.
- Yes they can. But, in order to do so, one needs to produce the documents required to obtain a SIM Card in India.
- If you have the documents, say a local Indian address proof, a passport or any similar government approved photo ID proof, the OCI card, or other verified Indian documents, the procedure should be easy for you.
- The only difference between the procedure for you and for a foreigner is that you don’t need to submit the e-visa copy.
- Similarly as an NRI or a PIO card holder, one needs to produce one proof of identity and one photo ID proof along with an Indian address proof to obtain an Indian SIM.
- The following documents can be considered for these purposes; Aadhaar card, PAN Card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, Address Proof, Any Electricity/Telephone Bills With Address on it, Passport, PIO card etc.
- Within 15 hours of your details being successfully verified, your SIM card to use in India should be active.
- Post that you can go back to the shop and top up or recharge your phone.
- You will have to make sure that you are in the same area as you bought the roaming SIM card for the activation to go through. For instance, if you bought the local SIM card in Delhi, you cannot complete the activation if you have travelled outside of Delhi. It has to be done within the same area it was issued.
Here’s how you can avoid all the jazz that comes with purchasing a new SIM card completely and opt for this new and more efficient option. Here’s where we introduce you to Trabug!
Trabug offers a mobile phone and a wifi device powered by a 4G data connection. Both the devices are available to foreigners travelling to India on a rental basis. Trabug is designed by and for travellers. It is for anyone visiting India. Whether you are travelling for business, leisure or to meet family and friends, Trabug provides a hassle free experience of staying connected in a foreign country.
- You can rent a full smartphone with a functional 4G sim at a rental price of per day which would be hassle free as you don’t have to buy a new use and throw phone and a separate SIM card and can avoid those costs completely.
- The plans offered on the phone can be viewed on the site. There’s a good variety to choose from but not too much to confuse you either.
Therefore, Trabug definitely saves you both time and money and gives a lot more than just a temporary mobile number India.
- Your personal phone may not work while in India because the GSM band might not be not compatible or you might be locked to your home network. So, to have a working phone in India, one may need to buy a new Indian cell phone which would cost a few hundred dollars. Trabug saves you that big amount as it is a rental service and you pay a nominal amount only.
- The phone is pretty attractive with its 5-inch high-resolution screen and comes in lovely packaging. The battery is pretty long lasting which too, is honestly a life saver.
- The mobile phone rental is charged on per day basis.
- The phone is delivered at your hotel/hostel and is picked up from whatever place you leave it at. For e.g. It can be ordered in Delhi and left for return at Mumbai.
- The phone comes with reliable information about places to visit, eat, stay at, it is like a guide to new places.
- It can be used to book a cab with a preinstalled Uber/Ola app.
- The internet plans too are amazing as while booking a cab or going through the social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, WhatsApp, Skype, IRCTC App, Google Maps, all come preinstalled), there’s hardly any lag.
- One can create a hotspot from the Trabug phone and connect as many as 5 devices. So, no internet hassles for the iPad or the laptop or a personal phone.
- The phone is very helpful with the audio tour and currency exchange services too.
- One can even use personal services on the phone without getting concerned as you get to checkout and wipe off all the personal data once you are ready to return it.
- Most importantly, one can access the emergency information about police, hospitals, embassies, based on location anytime anywhere.
This is a small convenient pocket sized device to be used as a portable wifi device in India and that you can rent on per day basis. The device gives you access to high speed internet (4G) and lets you connect upto 10 devices. It is handy and lasts upto 6 hours after 1 full charge. It can be charged again using a regular USB android cord. It comes with a companion app.
For pricing, plans and more information; visit https://www.trabug.com/pricing/
- 4G internet speed.
- Personal wifi password so no one else can use it
- Hotspot connectivity upto 5 devices on the phone and 10 on the pocket wifi.
- Calling (International and Domestic).
- Phone delivered and Picked up from your doorstep (in India)
- Specially curated content
- Emergency Services
Visit the following to book/check prices/read more reviews:
The Trabug site: https://www.trabug.com/
“Thank you for the excellent service and support during the last two weeks. I really really appreciate it. You guys made my stay so fantastic.”Aditi Mukherjee
You might also want to read these: