If you aren’t aware what Delhi Belly is supposed to mean, you my friend haven’t done your research about Indian food. It is one cute phrase used to usually describe a condition with an upset stomach accompanied by diarrhoea, especially as suffered by visitors to India. Indian food is famous for its spices and the variety and it is no less than often that a traveler has a bad experience with the health because of lack of tolerance and adaptation of different tastes.
Here are few things to keep in mind that might help you.
- Keep sure of the hygiene of the place you are eating at. Keep hands washed and avoid eating from street side vendors or from utensils that you suspect to be less than hygienic.
- Keep yourself well hydrated at all times. Avoid juices, milkshakes, water from roadside. Only consume packed water and drinks. Have fruits that you can peel yourself instead of juices. Avoid ice too. You can find suitable hydration salts after consulting a chemist or a doctor if required.
- Always read allergen information on packaged goods and make sure to ask for ingredients that are used in your food. Specify if you are allergic to something and keep precautionary medicines with you at all times.
- If you have developed an upset stomach, go light with the food. Eat food that is easy to digest and keep yourself thoroughly hydrated with electrol or ORS (Oral Rehydration Syrup). Take yogurt, rice, soup. Avoid wheat, spices and milk . Prefer home cooked food over packeted food. Consult a doctor for appropriate medication.
- Take supplements or yogurt/lassi to keep your immune system to the best of its game as you will need a strong one here in India.
While all might look a little terrible and scary, it does get better. Once in India and you get used to the food here, you will be able to enjoy the delicacies and have your share of it.
Disclosure: The information above is all generic. Different things might work for different people. Consult specialists for further information and insight. Do not take any substance without consulting a doctor.
Trabug comes with all the emergency services installed and helps you locate your nearest hospital/police station in the moment of need very easily. It helps you find ways as it has maps and cab service applications pre installed
Trabug is india’s first Travel phone that comes with a 4G connection and a voice plan. It is a phone for anyone and everyone who travels to India on business or leisure. It helps you stay connected in a foreign land and makes your stay hassle free.